Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Eight Values of Free Expression: Protecting Dissent


Climate Rights International; Lukas Schulz
Peaceful protest in the United Kingdom


As I read through the Eight Values of Free Expression, the value of protecting dissent stood out to me the most. This takes the main idea of free speech, and focuses on what I think is the most important aspect, protection of everyone's viewpoint. It is the idea that individuals have the right to their own opinions despite being the minority. It allows everyone to have their own beliefs even when they differ from the majority, criticize the government, and even question authority without fear of punishment from the government. 

This value reminds us that we have to fight back for what we believe in. We can't just go with the majority opinion. The only way to see the change we want is by voicing what we believe, and fighting for it. 

Many of the most significant changes in American history started with a brave individual who spoke up for what they believed in despite standing on the opposite side of the majority. 

These people that used their freedom of speech, and specifically protecting dissent, are now seen as brave leaders and even heroes. 

Free Speech Throughout History

Martin Luther King Jr. "I Have a Dream" Speech
The Civil Rights Movement is a great example of Protect Dissent, and the freedom of speech being used. During the Civil Rights Movement, many people utilized their freedom and spoke out for what they believed. 

Specifically, Martin Luther King Jr. used his right to dissent by speaking out and expressing how he felt about segregation. 
Despite most Americans disagreeing with him at first, over time, his minority opinion spread, and he changed everything. His ideas were no longer the minority. His use of his freedom allowed for him to spread his ideas and beliefs so wide, he changed millions of people's minds. 

Although it is hard to stand up for what you believe in when others don't agree with you, speaking up is the only way that you can make a difference. 

Protecting dissent is so important because the government isn't always correct, and as citizens it is our duty to call out those mistakes. We need to criticize things that we know are not right so we can see real changes in our society. 


Fortunately for us, in this era, it is much easier to take advantage of this freedom due to social media. 

Social media can be a very controversial topic when discussing if it is positive or negative. Although, when it comes to freedom of speech, and protecting dissent, social media makes it much more accessible for everyone to share their own opinions and ideas with the world. People can share what they believe with the click of a button, and it allows you to reach a larger audience which you may never have been able to reach without social media. 

Although it is a good space to share your personal opinion, everyone can express how they feel, including if they disagree with you. This means it is possible to receive backlash from others. This can be discouraging to those expressing their opinions, and even scare some people into not expressing how they feel. 

This new fear that comes along with social media just means that we have to keep encouraging others to take advantage of their freedom. We have to help others understand that not everyone will agree with you, but you still have to share your opinion in order to see change. 


Why I Felt Connected With Protect Dissent

I feel so strongly about using this freedom to our full advantage because I grew up learning to stand up for what I believe is right. I have never been scared to express myself when I believe something isn't fair or just. 

I have also always been taught to always listen to others opinions. Even if I don't agree with them, I have learned to be respectful of what others believe, and try to see where they are coming from. 

Both of these life lessons have stuck with me and helped shape who I am today. I can not imagine living in a society where people are forced to support something they don't fully believe in, which is why I feel so connected to freedom of speech and to protecting dissent. Without the power to challenge the government, and other opinions, we would never see significant changes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment